Saturday, March 29, 2008

My Glass Overflowed....

Another beautiful day in Westport and we were once again woken by the gentle tapping of the robin. I admit, I am looking for signs and getting nervous, so I did the only thing I knew would bring forth the answer...I called on the wizard of folklores and all superstitions - my mother.

There's been a bird tapping on my window almost everyday for a week now, I said to my mother when she picked up the phone. What? there's a bird in your house?? No, no, no..that is really bad luck..get him out..she quickly responded. OK..my mother's hearing has been declining in the past three years and she is wary of putting on the ultra-modern-sleek-cool hearing aid my sister got for her last summer. NO!!!! the bird has only been tapping on my window, i said in a slightly higher volumed tone. OH!!!!!
That still doesn't sound good..be careful..drive carefully..something bad might happen..birds have no business trying to get inside..then she took it back..she said, well, maybe he sees that you are very happy and he wants to join in...

I admit, I am always a glass half-full kinda girl but my mother's response really freaked me out. So I did what I would naturally have done second and called my sister..OH!!! Let it in, she said..NO!! mom told me its bad luck...I am getting scared..we've got lots of running around today, I didn't want the robin to be symbolic of a messenger of doom. Then my sister said GO GOOGLE IT!!!

Which I did, and according to the Audubon Society of America..the following is the answer to my week's worth of guessing and wondering:

" A male cardinal continuously bangs against the windows of our house. It begins at dawn and doesn’t end until dusk. He’s been at it for many months. I don’t know how he has the energy to go on or how he hasn’t killed himself. What is the cause of this? Does he want to get into my house?



No, despite your best cooking, the bird is not trying to get into your house. This scenario is surprisingly common and is almost always perpetrated by Northern Cardinals and American Robins. According to biologist Daniel Klem, the concentration of hormones in male cardinals increases to 300 times that of normal levels during breeding season. This causes a ferocious defense of territory and the bird attacks all rivals, including perceived rivals such as his own reflected image.

The solution is to eliminate the reflective properties of glass by covering the window from the outside. Anything attached to the inside of the window may reduce reflectivity, but not eliminate it. You may have to cover the window for a period of time, perhaps a week or more.

Attach white paper to the entire outer surface of the window; this will allow for light to enter while eliminating reflection. Try stringing balloons to the outer surface, or strips of shiny mylar. The motion of these items might dissuade the bird."


*** I am relieved perhaps by this knowledge..still, I will continue to monitor my children carefully in the coming days..drive extra cautiously, and thread wisely in the hours ahead..after all, the wizard is not too often wrong!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank goodness for Google! Drive carefully just the same. But I like the Google answer best of all.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can phrase that I agree with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is stationary a definitely as you did in the fall issue of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=orgscheduler pro 3.8 ?
I noticed the utter you have not used. Or you use the dreary methods of helping of the resource. I take a week and do necheg

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home